Tuesday, January 04, 2000
The Frozen Northlands - my first trip up to the US's northernly neighbor
More Canadian Adventures - injera at Queen Sheba, patbingsu in Koreatown, dim sum and bubble tea in Chinatown...what's not to love about Toronto?
Frozen Northlands: This time actually frozen! - a spring break frolic during which I am acquainted with that white fluffy substance which so rarely falls in southern lands
La Belle Province - in which I experience poutine at the chain of the same name and other gastronomic adventures in Montreal, including North America's only Xinjiang restaurant!
Monday, January 03, 2000
The arrival - in which a small-town boy remarks on his first impressions of the big city. Also featuring the fastest ever immigration and emigration from South Korea.
Getting around - my first attempts at navigating the capital by public transportation.
Tiananmen - where I hang out in a really big square, enter the Forbidden City, and stroll around old alley neighborhoods.
More BJ - more of the stuff you love!
Obligatory culture crisis - being a Chinese in China isn't as easy as you think!
Great Wall - hiking the Great Wall around Beijing
Romantic mountain getaway - escaping the big city for a peaceful country weekend
Back in Beijing
Sunday, January 02, 2000
North Korea border jump not to scale.
Our first really big adventure in China!
Dandong - whether you're here just to admire North Korea across the river or get your feet(and pants, and shirt) wet by crossing the North Korean border as I did, this charming little Northeastern town is sure to please.
Dalian, a sparkling seaside city featuring aquariums, beaches, and a kitschy Russian shopping street
Tianjin, home of Goubuli buns, some old European port architecture, and amazingly wide intersections
Saturday, January 01, 2000
Click on the red stars for detailed blog entries!
- Beijing: The PRC's lovable capital city and my home for summer 2006.
- Shanghai: Old-style grandeur and futuristic skyscrapers
- Dandong: Charming little town on the North Korean border.
First stop on our Northeastern travels
- Dalian: Shiny seaside metropolis.
Part of our Northeastern travels
- Tianjin: Great buns and wide intersections.
The last stop of our Northeastern travels
- Datong: Home of the Yungang grottoes, a massive cave complex with amazing Buddhist art
- Xi'an: Our home for summer 2007.
- Lanzhou: Regional capital and birthplace of niuroumian(beef noodles).
- Xiahe and the Labrang Monastery: a taste of Tibet
- Home of the Maiji Shan grottoes, cliffside caves filled with Buddhist statues
- Turpan: Grape capital of China
- Urumqi: Booming oil town and capital of China's wild west
- Kucha: Home of the Subash ruins, Kizil caves, and an impressive mosque
- Kashgar: Historic silk road hub and center of Uyghur culture
- Tashkurgan: Tajik town on the Pakistani border
- Yarkand and Karghilik: towns on the southern Silk Road
- Hotan: Famous for jade and its weekly market
- Minfeng: Jumping-off point for the Taklamakan desert